Many times caregivers take on too much not realizing that little by little they are succumbing to burnout. Getting to the point of burnout doesn’t happen all of a sudden. It takes place over a period of time causing subtle changes in your behavior until one day the mildest irritation could spiral you into a meltdown. Recognizing the signs that the senior care that you are providing is wearing you out can help you prevent burnout.
3 signs to be aware of when providing senior care services that could lead to burnout are:
- Unrelenting fatigue – constantly tired for no apparent reason. Caregiver who don’t take time for themselves to refresh when faced with the challenge of caring for a loved one on a regular basis will begin to experience extreme fatigue.
- Losing your temper more easily – going beyond your personal capacity to handle stress can cause you to lash out at those around you for the most foolish reasons. Depending upon the kind of person you were before, this could be disturbing to those who witness you behaving in this way.
- Frequently sick – constantly catching a cold when you never used to could be a sign that you are close to burnout. You contract the flu or other illnesses more often than in the past. This could be an indication that your immune system has been compromised due to fatigue or depression. It is your body’s way of saying that you need to make some changes.
If you notice one or more of these symptoms, it is time to make some adjustments before the situation progresses. Once you let yourself get too far into the burnout stage, you may require professional help to guide you back to a healthy emotional state.
Learn to know yourself better and monitor your behavior by keeping a daily diary or journal. Make some notes each day about how you feel emotional and physically. This can be help you if you need to look back to see a pattern developing. It also helps you to be more aware of your actions, moods, and reactions.
Senior care is challenging and demanding. Every caregiver has a unique set of circumstances regarding their situation. However, one situation from another doesn’t exempt anyone from experiencing caregiver burnout. Learn to recognize negative patterns and make the necessary adjustments that will help you maintain a happy and healthy quality of life.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care services near Friendswood TX, call Sheila’s Angels and talk to our caring staff about your needs. Sheila’s Angels Provides In-home Senior Care for the Houston Area. Serving: Clear Lake City, League City, Friendswood, Pearland, Alvin, El Largo, Nassau Bay, Seabrook, Taylor Lake, Clear Lake Shores and surrounding communities.
Latest posts by Sheila Perrine (see all)
- Help Around the Home Isn’t All Elderly Care Offers - December 4, 2019
- What If You Move in With Your Dad and Hate It? - November 20, 2019
- Skin Cancer and Your Senior - October 10, 2019